SUNBED TANNING TIPS
Whether you’re a tanning newbie or just need a refresher on how to get the most out of your tan, you’re in the right place. We have assembled 11 essential tanning bed tips to help you learn how long to tan, what to do after you tan and more. First (if you haven’t already), talk with our Tanning Experts to determine your tanning skin type. Then we can help you with selecting the right sunbed, skin care products, session times and schedules.
KNOW YOUR SKIN TYPE
TANS LITTLE OR NOT AT ALL
Burns easily and severely, then peels. People most often with fair skin, blue eyes, freckles, white unexposed skin.
USUALLY BURNS EASILY AND SEVERELY
(Painful burn); tans minimally and lightly; also peels. People with fair skin, blue or hazel eyes, blonde or red hair, white unexposed skin.
Gains average tan. Average Caucasian, white unexposed skin.
Tans easily and above average with each exposure. People with light brown skin, dark brown hair, dark eyes, white or light brown unexposed skin. (Asians, Hispanics and Mediterraneans)
Tans easily and substantially. Brown-skinned people, brown unexposed skin. (East Indians, Hispanics, etc.)
TANS PROFUSELY AND NEVER BURNS
People with black skin. (Africans and African Americans, Australians and South Indian Aborigines)
*Fitzpatrick Classification Scale - Thomas Fitzpatrick, MD
WANNA KNOW HOW TO TAN FASTER?
Just one five minute spray tan session can produce flawless results in as little as four to six hours. AND, your customized spray tan can last up to a week — making it the perfect addition to your sunbed tanning routine, when you need a quick boost of color. Learn more about spray tanning.
PREP YOUR SKIN
1. It’s best to shower, shave and exfoliate a day or two before your tanning session. Exfoliating helps prepare your skin before you tan. If you don’t have time for a deep exfoliation, using a loofah, brush or bath puff during shower time works just fine.
2. Apply a non-oil-based light moisturizer right after you shower or bathe.
CHECK YOUR PRESCRIPTIONS
3. Check the side effects of prescription medications. Some medications can increase skin sensitivity when exposed to UV rays.
WHAT TO WEAR
4. Apply a lip balm with SPF protection. Our Color Me Tan salon carries lip balm with SPF. Check your salon for availability.
5. Remove your makeup, jewelry and avoid wearing heavy perfumes or essential oils.
THE NAKED TRUTH
6. Once you’re set up with a private and secure tanning room, disrobe to your level of comfort. If you choose to be nude, be sure to cover areas not typically exposed to the sun.
USE THESE TANNING LOTION TIPS
7. Apply indoor tanning lotion evenly in a circular motion and over all areas of the body. Using the right skin care products is the best way to extend the life of your tan. Color Me Tan has bronzers and intensifiers specially formulated for indoor tanning. Note that lotions not made for indoor tanning can cause damage to tanning beds and don’t help develop your tan.
PROTECT THOSE PEEPERS
8. We want you to fully enjoy how good you look after tanning. That’s why we (politely) insist that you sport protective eyewear. After all, it’s required by law since UV rays can be harmful to eyes. We’re happy to provide protective goggles for all our clients.
9. Our Color Me Tan salon has a 24-hour tanning policy. Because the tanning process doesn’t stop when you leave the sunbed, your skin needs downtime to properly develop color. As recommended by the FDA, a 24-hour resting period between sessions will allow you to maximize your color and skin care.
KEEP YOUR GLOW LONGER
10. Using a tanning extender is the best way to ensure long-lasting results. Color Me Tan has an array of sunbed tanning products that hydrate skin and help keep you golden longer.
11. Maintain your perfect shade by tanning 1-3 times a week. Consult with the Tanning Experts® for a personalized tan retention plan.